Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pharoah Sanders addendum & more writings

Playing right now: Josh Berman & His Gang - There Now (Delmark)
More to come on this. Later

After posting the Pharoah Sanders review it occurred to me that I didn't make a fuss over the Pittsburgh contingent on the album. In fact, the Don Cherry session had two Pittsburgh natives in the rhythm section: bassist David Izenzon and drummer J.C. Moses. Izenzon also showed up on the Paul Bley session too. These are two guys you never hear about when locals rattle off the names of musicians who grew up here. Them, and Beaver Harris.

Here are some recent reviews of mine that are on the JazzTimes website: Tomas Fujiwara & the Hook up and Jerome Sabbagh

In the current print issue (August), I reviewed albums by Henry Threadgill's Zooid and Ballister, the latter a free improv trio consisting of Fred Lonberg-Holm, Dave Rempis and Paal Nilssen-Love. Look for it and buy it. John Pizzarelli is on the cover. Last week I was working on a piece for the magazine, the first thing bigger than a review I've written for them in a while. With that out of the way, I'm hoping to concentrate more time here in the next week. I hope, I hope.

Tonight is Karl Hendricks' album release at Gooski's. I'm hoping to make it there. The new album's out on vinyl and disc!

No comments: