Friday, March 04, 2011

Where I'm at now

Playing right now: Von Freeman - Doin' It Right Now (Atlantic)
(Von is a real badass tenor player, who's still kicking out some solid music. Anytime you see a Von Freeman album, grab it.)

I nodded off with the laptop on me, fading in and out every 30 seconds or so. When I finally got up, I was walking around for two minutes before I realized that today was Friday and not Saturday. I'm surprised it took that long. Friday night, payday no less, and I'm sitting by myself with the computer. And I don't even have a drink nearby.

I've been compiling a list of upcoming shows in Pittsburgh, in hopes of previewing some of them and it's getting pretty long. Tomorrow night, drummer/percussionist Ravish Momin is back in town at the Shop. He lived here in the '90s and played in an improv group called Ensemble Duchamp. Then he went to New York and before starting his own band, he played with Kalaparush Maurice McIntyre and Sabir Mateen. He's been here a few times with his own group, but I keep missing them. Then on Sunday, a singer-songwriter named Alex Winston is playing at the Brillobox.

Then later this month, a Sub Pop band called Papercuts are coming, followed a few days later by Kurt Vile & the Violaters, who I want to see because my friend Jesse is a member of that band, and I haven't seen that cat since he moved away over 10 years ago.

I finally figured out, with the help of a friend, that I can actually burn CDs from this laptop in such a way that they can be played on regular CDs players. For some reason, any disc I burned previously could only be played on machines that read mp3s. I have a bunch of album downloads that I have to write about and now I don't have to stay confined to this machine to listen to them! Hooray!

No comments: