Thursday, May 04, 2006

Maiden (Blog) Voyage

Playing right now: John Coltrane - Ascension
This is Edition II for those who are interested. Vinyl copy w/the gatefold sleeve. I won it in an auction a few months ago, and it didn't cost all that much. I have a cassette with both versions of it, but it's about 12 years old and I always wanted to get a copy of the album. It was a such a watershed album for Coltrane, one where a lot of people probably wrote him off, and I don't know hearing it on vinyl kind of puts it in context for me, what it would've been like hearing it for the first time. What did people think? I mean, it's noisy but there's a method to the madness.

While having breakfast: Fats Navarro - Memorial Album on Savoy
A friend of mine picked this up for me a couple years ago. I like what I've heard of Fats, so I thought I needed to hear this too. It's from 3 sessions and it includes Sonny Stitt (a dead ringer for Charlie Parker here), Kenny Clarke and Kenny Dorham (who, embarrasingly, is credited as "Kinney." What there a contract w/another label that caused this mistake? It's spelled right on the cover!) It's great but not outstanding. The record itself -- sort of beat up, it even gets stuck on one song -- is almost more of the appeal. Heavy vinyl, a shiny cover that's hard to get the record out of, because the seams are split; the old red Savoy logo.

This is my debut post. I've been talking about starting this blog for months. I couldn't decide what to do before work and ended up dawdling a bit. Now that I'm getting up early it's almost like I have too much free time.

But I better post this and get ready for work.

No comments: